Friday, October 23, 2009

Love expressed through PURSUIT


I am convinced that one of the greatest wounds many of us experience in childhood and throughout life comes from the lack of pursuit. We know we are loved when we are pursued. A child knows they are loved when they have a parent pursue them, when a parent stops and asks them how they are doing, ask them what they need, inquire about their friends, etc. A spouse knows they are loved when their spouse sits and talks with them, cooks them their favorite meal, gives them a card for no special reason other than to say "thanks" or "I love you."

Last month I was at a church function and talked to a few guys that I did not know or only met maybe once before. As a counselor, I easily ask questions of others and inquire about their lives. What often amazes me is how poor men are at pursuing another person, except for some selfish gain. I talked with one guy for at least 40 minutes, asking about his job, his family, etc. Not once did he ask me any questions about my life. I left that conversation feeling un-pursued and uncared for. I later learned from my wife that that man's marriage is in major trouble. Is it any wonder! I then sat next to another man. As a golf pro, he had a very interesting life and could have gone on and on about his experiences, but he didn't. He pursued me with a passion that was impressive. His questions showed a genuine interest in me and my pursuits. I left that conversation feeling energized, happy, and wanting more. I felt pursued.

The Bible spends a great deal of time stressing how it is God that pursues us and not the other way around. He knows our heart's desire to be pursued and he goes after it. Take for example the three parables that begin in Luke 15, the parable of the lost sheep, the lost coin, and the lost son. All clearly show that God is a God that will do whatever it takes in pursuing the lost soul in order for them to experience the joy of the Father's love. God finds us and heals us through pursuit.

What's your story? Do you have wounds from your childhood due to not being pursued? How good are you at pursuing others? Do you walk closely with God in order to feels his love? Meditate and pray over this theme of pursuit. Allow the Lord to heal your heart in this area, to open your eyes to His pursuant love, and to learn how to love others better through the means of pursuit.

No comments: